Thursday, January 17, 2013

Restful Sleep..No More Zombie

So most of you know that the past couple of nights have been incredibly rough for me. It's really strange and hard to describe, but I'll try. The first night, I woke up feeling like my tongue was swelling and my throat was closing up, and last night it was even more strange. I felt like I couldn't swallow, (which is awful,) but I also felt my face was numb, and my body just felt weird all over. My head was hurting, so perhaps it was another 'bad' migraine incident. On Tuesday night, I could feel a panic attack coming on, so I drank a whole lot of water and began praying. I then pulled up my Bible app and just started reading the Psalms..nothing in particular, but slowly I felt my body calming down and the episode passed. All I knew is I didn't want to end up calling 9-1-1 like we did back in March.
Last night was equally uncomfortable and scary,  but as I was reading Psalms chapters 1-5. I found myself reading chapters 3 and 4 over and over again. So many verses stuck out to me.
Psalms 3:3-5 But You, Oh Lord, are a shield for me, my glory and the One who lifts up my head. I cried to the Lord with my voice and He heard me from His holy hill. I lay down and slept; I awoke, for the Lord sustained me.
It was so comforting to me to read these words as I was crying out to God as I was struggling to fall asleep. I found it so amazing that the passages I chose to read referred to sleep as I was struggling to find it! :0) And again in the next chapter I read...
Psalms 4:8 I will both lie down in peace, and sleep; For You alone, O Lord, make me dwell in safety."
I've always loved this verse, but it meant so much more to me last night. Peaceful sleep is exactly what I had after I read these passages and cried out to God. He heard me in my time of need. 
I can't really say what's causing these sudden flare ups. Perhaps its the stress of Aaron not having a job. Perhaps my mind isn't convinced of what my heart knows, that God will take care of us. He already is actually!! Faith is a choice everyday. Do we trust God or not? I do, but I also get anxious sometimes, and unfortunately, I have a feeling  my migraines react. 
I'm praising God that I now know what to do in these instances. It's actually quite simple. When the chaos strikes in the middle of the night I pray and read His word. If I'm not calm yet, I keep reading it over and over until it sinks in. God is good. God is faithful, and I know this!! 
Praying for a restful and peaceful sleep tonight. Being a zombie at work is not fun. 

No comments:

Post a Comment