Saturday, November 5, 2011

Christi Crocker...It might be happening

I'm not going to lie. I've always been able to cook, but it's never been my favorite thing to do.I don't have a special dish or anything. My food is edible and tastes pretty fantastic at times. I've been stuck in quite the cooking rut for a while though..spaghetti, hamburgers, tacos, meatloaf, chicken alfredo, fish sticks, chicken nuggets and a rotating array of sides: corn, green beans, mashed potatoes, and macaroni and cheese ...basically stuff that's super easy to throw together after a long day at work.
Well I'm not sure what has happened to me, but I am suddenly interested in trying out new recipes and....BAKING!!! Here is my history with baking..my cakes taste delicious, but while putting the icing on I typically rip the top off. They're never pretty, and so I just choose not to do it. 
I think what started my cooking frenzy, (well it's not quite a frenzy yet,) was my trip to Florida recently. My friend Kate introduced me to Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Bread, and it was amazing. I came home and bought all the ingredients. Now, I plan on having this 177 calories of goodness for breakfast for the rest of my life. If all the stores are out of pumpkin soon, it's totally me. While I was there Kate also expressed how much she loved crock pot meals. I always knew how convenient this was, but just never went through the trouble of finding good recipes. While visiting, Kate, Sean and I went to Chili's and they both had soup. For one, they were discussing how yummy the soup was, and I think we may have had a conversation about it probably not being too hard to make.So I came home and made some homemade chicken noodle soup. It was such a simple recipe and ABSOLUTELY AMAZING!!!
So I guess all I can say is that I have discovered that there are simple recipes out there without a million ingredients I've never heard of. Thanks Kate! =0)
Betty Crocker needs to watch out, because Christi Crocker is on the rise!! Here are the two recipes I've made recently.
Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Bread:
Ingredients:
3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1 tablespoon ground nutmeg
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
3 cups granulated sugar
1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin
1 cup canola oil
2/3 cup water
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
4 large eggs
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray three 9x5 inch loaf pans with cooking spray and set aside.
2. In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
3. In a large bowl, combine sugar, pumpkin, canola oil, water, vanilla, and eggs. Mix until smooth.
4. Slowly blend in flour mixture. Fold in chocolate chips. Evenly divide batter between the three loaf pans.
5. Bake for 60 minutes, or until browned and a toothpick comes out clean. Remove loaves from oven and cool in pans on a wire rack for 15 minutes. With a knife, go around the bread and loosen the loaves. Remove from pan and cool completely before slicing.

Chicken Noodle Soup:
4 cups Swanson® Chicken Broth (Regular, Natural Goodness® or Certified Organic)
Generous dash ground black pepper
1 medium carrot, sliced (about 1/2 cup)
1 stalk celery, sliced (about 1/2 cup)
1/2 cup uncooked extra wide egg noodles
1 cup shredded cooked chicken or turkey
  • Heat the broth, black pepper, carrot and celery in a 2-quart saucepan over medium-high heat to a boil.
  • Stir the noodles and chicken in the saucepan. Reduce the heat to medium. Cook for 10 minutes or until the noodles are tender, stirring occasionally.

No comments:

Post a Comment