Saturday, September 22, 2012

Pray Like You've Never Prayed Before

We've definitely established that I'm an extremely emotional person. I wear my feelings on my heart/sleeve/face..it's all out there! There's no guessing with me, well except whether or not I'm sad, happy or mad crying! ;0)
Lately it just seems like people close to me are just being bombarded with huge, heart wrenching life events. With me..I always think, what can I do to make this better? How can I lighten this burden? The truth is in most cases, I can't, and I'm not going to lie...this drives me insane. Of course as a friend I can offer a shoulder, an ear, a punching bag, etc. It never is enough though.
The most powerful tool we have in our possession is prayer. Oddly enough, I often find myself saying all I can do is pray. Sometimes ALL we NEED to do is pray and let God take care of the rest. I can't tell you how many times I personally have seen situations turned around because of prayer.Prayer changes things. It makes the hopeless hopeful, the lonely feel loved, those who are mourning feel joy, and those who are in the midst of the biggest storm suddenly feel peace.
Miracles do happen. I hate that because of what TV has made it, some people can't believe that God can still heal the sick. I am someone who was once sick and is now whole. I won't tell the long version of the story, but I had two surgeries on my head due to fluid on the brain: the 1st was to just drill a hole in my skull and let the fluid drain out, and the 2nd was to put a shunt in. Those two surgeries did NOT work. When I went in for a check up a 3rd surgery was scheduled. I had one more scan and the surgery was the following day. At that point I told my dad I'd rather die than have surgery again. Obviously I was in high school and dramatic from having half my head shaved and two painful surgeries already. That night we had my friends come over to pray for me. The next day when I went to the doctor he was surprised I was even walking and the 3rd surgery was cancelled. MIRACLES happen!! =0) I've been fine ever since.
I say all of that to say this, my friends, your friends, our families, they're struggling. They so desperately need someone who loves them enough to pray for them. Don't just say you'll pray, and not do it, PRAY! We all need strength, encouragement, hope, peace, HEALING...some of us need to feel God's loving arms wrapped around us. It sounds silly but prayers are like hugs. They wrap around you at the most desperate times and cover you in peace when you should be falling apart. God is amazing like that!

 Pray without ceasing.1 Thessalonians 5:17

Evening and morning and at noon, I will pray and cry aloud, and He shall hear my voice. Psalms 55:17

No comments:

Post a Comment